Search

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Icicle Ball and Repeated Reading

We are doing repeated readings on the song called the Icicle Ball by Karen Rupprecht and Pam Minor. 
 ( Click the following link to see or print the text and hear a sample of the song. http://www.songsforteaching.com/calendarweatherseasons/theicicleball.php .
 Right click to open it in a new tab and keep this page open, too.)
  Repeated readings help students with fluency, accuracy, and sight words.
 I create a movie for the students with the music so we can read the lyrics and sing the song as we learn it together. 
I use the same video with pictures of  the vocabulary we will cover as I read the text. (See below.)  Students can follow along, as this has been proven to support struggling readers, too. 
Movie with me reading the lyrics as text.
I also have created a QR code for the students to listen to me read the lyrics later in the week as they track the text or read along with me during "Listen to Reading" workstation.

No comments: